Your guide to learning how to incorporate AHA in your skincare!
Alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs) are a type of chemical exfoliant that are widely used in the skincare industry for their ability to help improve the texture and appearance of the skin. In this blog post, we’ll explore what AHAs are, how they work, and their benefits for the skin.
What are AHAs?
AHAs are a group of naturally occurring acids that are derived from fruits and milk. The most common AHAs used in skincare are glycolic acid, lactic acid, citric acid, and mandelic acid. These acids work by breaking down the bonds between dead skin cells, allowing them to be easily sloughed away and revealing smoother, brighter skin.
How do AHAs work?
AHAs work by penetrating the upper layers of the skin and breaking down the bonds that hold dead skin cells together. This process, called exfoliation, helps to remove the build-up of dead skin cells, revealing fresher, brighter skin underneath. AHAs also stimulate the production of collagen and elastin, two proteins that are essential for healthy, youthful-looking skin.
What are the benefits of using AHAs?
There are many benefits to using AHAs in your skincare routine, including:
- Smoother, brighter skin: AHAs can help to slough away dead skin cells, revealing smoother, brighter skin underneath.
- Improved texture: AHAs can help to improve the texture of the skin by reducing the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, and acne scars.
- Increased hydration: AHAs can help to boost the skin’s natural hydration levels, leaving it looking and feeling more plump and moisturized.
- Improved absorption: AHAs can help to improve the absorption of other skincare products, allowing them to penetrate deeper into the skin for better results.
- Reduced hyperpigmentation: AHAs can help to reduce the appearance of hyperpigmentation, such as sun spots or age spots, by breaking down the excess melanin in the skin.
How to use AHAs in your skincare routine
AHAs are typically found in toners, serums, and moisturizers. When using AHAs in your skincare routine, it’s important to start slowly and patch test first to avoid any potential irritation. Begin by using a product containing AHAs once or twice a week, gradually increasing to daily use if your skin tolerates it well. Always follow up with a sunscreen during the day, as AHAs can increase the skin’s sensitivity to the sun.
In conclusion, AHAs are a highly effective skincare ingredient that can help to improve the texture, tone, and appearance of your skin. By incorporating AHAs into your skincare routine, you can enjoy smoother, brighter, and more youthful-looking skin.